Wednesday 2 November 2011

This pose is for you Dad!

So I have been away from my blog for a very long time...but honestly, I was thoroughly enjoying my yogi sister, Wendy’s blog so much that I felt mine wasn’t required anymore!  Seriously, that girl is a RIOT!  So poignant and honest, and FUNNY!!

So I’ve decided to join the blogging world again because I feel I have something to blog about.

The month of November is dedicated to Prostate Cancer.  Men from all over the world grow their mustaches and raise money for a cancer that doesn’t get as much exposure as say, breast cancer, but yet affects just as many people, including my family.

My father is a SURVIVOR of Prostate Cancer.  In 2005 my dad was diagnosed.  I remember the day when I got the call from my father that he was given a clean bill of health.  No more cancer.  I remember I was standing up at the time at my desk at work and when he told me he was cancer free, my knees gave out from under me and I collapsed to the floor, crying happy tears.

My father is my hero in every sense of the word.  There is no man in this world that can compare to him.  He is the strength I look to, he is the wisdom I seek out, he is the humour that surprises me with bursts of laughter.  My father is the TRUEST measure of a man.

This month Moksha Dartmouth is doing a 30 Day Challenge where all proceeds are going to Prostate Cancer Research.  As a participant in this challenge, I have committed myself to practicing yoga for 30 days straight.  This is a feat for me.  Getting to the studio every day may prove difficult, along with the aches and pains of a daily practice.  Knowing when to push myself and when to put my ego aside and modify my asanas.

My father SURVIVED Prostate Cancer.  Everything he went through is what will push me through this challenge because nothing I go through over the next 30 days will come close to what he had to go through to BEAT Cancer.

I dedicate my 30 Day Challenge to my father, Tim Olive.  The strongest person I know.





He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.  ~Clarence Budington Kelland

No comments:

Post a Comment